Earlier this morning, Alex Lifeson (on location in Toronto) spoke with Darren Redick of UK internet radio station Planet Rock.We spoke to Alex in the studio where he and his Rush bandmates are currently recording their brand new studio album, Clockwork Angels.The 10-minute long interview is now online and can be listened to via this LINK.
In the interview he reveals that the band are aiming to release their new album in the spring and they are hoping to tour in the summer, with European dates almost a certainty. He also reveals that the band are looking at perhaps doing some festival shows in 2013.
The guitarist also gives an insight into how the new album will sound, revealing that the songs are starting to take an epic shape.
Ed from RushIsABand posted some bullet points from the interview (courtesy of reader Distant Early Warning:• Currently in the studio in Toronto putting in long hours.Thanks to Ed for sharing the news.
• They already had the 5 songs written of which 2 had been recorded so needed 5 or 6 more.
• After a slow first week, they got on a roll and after 4 weeks, all songs had been written.
• In response to a question about whether the direction of Clockwork Angels had changed, Alex said yes: BU2B and Caravan had set the tone, but last month some other pieces came together that were more melodic and had different arrangements and presentation than they were used to doing. However, the rest are heavy.
• 3 or 4 songs are over 7 minutes long and most of the rest are over 6 minutes - there's a lot of intense playing.
• Alex did not have much to do with the recent box sets - Neil does the design side of things.
• The 'I Love You Man' sketch was left off the concert DVD because of union issues (Screen Actors Guild) - it was difficult to get all the releases for it.
• They want to finish CA by Christmas but Alex was not confident about this. They have mixing booked for the New Year and he reckoned they would do a bit of recording and mixing at the same time, in time for a spring release.
• They hope to be out on tour in May or June, with Europe on the agenda but maybe not until 2013.
• On the subject of festivals, while they find it intriguing and potentially lucrative, they've never felt comfortable with it, as they would want more control over it (the time and the 'show' itself). However, if the right one came up where they had the control over the show, with a decent timeslot, they would consider it.
• Lastly, a big no to doing any small scale 'bar' gigs to 500 people.
Main Cygnus Header Code
Cygnus-X1.Net - A Tribute to Rush - Latest News on Rush
Order Rush's New Album CLOCKWORK ANGELS Today!
Follow Cygnus-X1.Net On Facebook, Twitter and via an RSS Feed
Thank You For Supporting Cygnus-X1.Net
Click for Tour Dates
Friday, November 18, 2011
Alex Lifeson Interview on Planet Rock - Now Online
Posted by Jag2112 at Friday, November 18, 2011
- Cygnus-X1.Net Rush News Archive -
- ► 2012 (220)
- Rush Sectors Box Set - Liner Notes, Tracks and Ima...
- Geddy Lee Honoured by Scholarship Endowment
- Triumph's Rik Emmett Covers Red Barchetta
- Alex Lifeson Makes Rolling Stone List of Top 100 G...
- An Intimate Interview with Geddy Lee of Rush
- Alex Lifeson Interview on Planet Rock - Now Online...
- Rush Sectors Box Set Video Trailer Now Online
- Rush Clockwork Angels Article in Rolling Stone Mag...
- Rush's Neil Peart Takes A Ride In His Ohio Time Ma...
- Rush Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland - Now Av...
- Walk Your Dog in Neil Peart Park
- Alex Lifeson Interview on Humble and Fred Radio
- Ace Frehley Talks Rush In His New Autobiography "N...
- Win An Autographed Rush ‘Moving Pictures’ Lithogra...
- Neil Peart: The Modern Drummer Interview - Now Onl...
- ▼ November (15)
- Cygnus-X1.Net (Even Older) Rush News Archives -
|January-March 2011 Rush News Archive|
|October-December 2010 Rush News Archive|
|July-September 2010 Rush News Archive|
|April-June 2010 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2010 Rush News Archive|
|October-December 2009 Rush News Archive|
|July-September 2009 Rush News Archive|
|April-June 2009 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2009 Rush News Archive|
|October-December 2008 Rush News Archive|
|July-September 2008 Rush News Archive|
|April-June 2008 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2008 Rush News Archive|
|September-December 2007 Rush News Archive|
|June-August 2007 Rush News Archive|
|April-May 2007 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2007 Rush News Archive|
|2006 Rush News Archive|
|2004-2005 Rush News Archive|
All Rush-related content with the exception of the "Reviews" and "Rush Links" sections of this site are (c) 1997-2012 Anthem Entertainment.
"Cygnus-X1.Net" and the "A Tribute to Rush" is in no way associated with nor endorsed by Rush and/or Atlantic Records and/or Mercury Records
and/or Anthem Entertainment; their parents or their affiliates. "Rush" et al and any/all related names, marks and/or insignias
are trademarks of Atlantic and/or Mercury Records. No infringement on the rights of these entities is intended.