David Marchese of SPIN magazine recently conducted an interview with Geddy Lee. The contents of that interview are now online in a piece entitled Geddy Lee's Ludicrous Machines: Rush Frontman Talks New Album, Tour. In it, Geddy discusses the evolution of the 'concept' theme behind Clockwork Angels:You guys have done conceptually-driven music in the past — 2112 is the most famous example. Is there anything different about how Rush puts together concept-pieces today as opposed to how it did in 1976?There was also talk about the upcoming tour:
It felt different this time. I think because we were taking the approach of making the songs work as individual pieces, we didn't have to worry about the necessity for an overture or trying to bring musical themes back. That approach would've felt formulaic to us. The three times we attempted side-long concept pieces in the past, the music was really like one song broken up into many parts. The thread connecting the music on Clockwork Angels is the story-line. That's the key difference.On the "Time Machine" tour that you guys finished last year, you were playing the entirety of [1981's] Moving Pictures. This time you'll be playing a lot of new material. Do you have to psych yourself up for the fact that fans are not going to have the same response to the songs simply on account of lack of familiarity? Are you in a different headspace going into this year's tour?To read the entire interview, click HERE.
We're very excited about doing this stuff — more so than the old stuff — but we're not sure how much patience the audience has for it. We're not sure how much they will dig it. I think the fact that we played two songs [from Clockwork Angels] and put them in the show [last year], and saw that there was such an immediate reaction emboldened us. It gave us confidence when we were finishing the record to think of maybe playing a big chunk of it live.
Thanks to Eric from Power Windows for passing along the interview.
Main Cygnus Header Code
Cygnus-X1.Net - A Tribute to Rush - Latest News on Rush
Order Rush's New Album CLOCKWORK ANGELS Today!
Follow Cygnus-X1.Net On Facebook, Twitter and via an RSS Feed
Thank You For Supporting Cygnus-X1.Net
Click for Tour Dates
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Geddy Lee's Ludicrous Machines - New SPIN Interview
Posted by Jag2112 at Tuesday, May 22, 2012
- Cygnus-X1.Net Rush News Archive -
- Neil Peart News, Weather, and Sports June 2012 Upd...
- Clockwork Angels Track Audio Samples Now Online
- Clockwork Angels: The Novel Official Press Release...
- Classic Rock Clockwork Angels FanPack Preview E-zi...
- Alex Lifeson Talks Clockwork Angels Track-by-Track...
- Geddy Lee's Ludicrous Machines - New SPIN Intervie...
- Rush Add Three New European Dates - Will Perform a...
- Metal Express Interview with Alex Lifeson
- Rush On The Cover of the July 2012 Issue of Classi...
- Clockwork Angels Tour Book Essay by Neil Peart Now...
- MIDIpedals.Com Interview With Rush Roadie Tony Ger...
- Rush Add Second Toronto Show - Release European Fa...
- Rush Announce Initial 2013 European Tour Dates
- Clockwork Angels Novel Artwork Revealed
- Clockwork Angels Full Album Reviewed from The Digi...
- Geddy Lee Exclusive Interview on Planet Rock - May...
- Producer Nick Raskulinecz talks Rush's Clockwork A...
- Clockwork Angels Full Album Reviewed Track by Trac...
- Rush Receive Governor General's Performing Arts Aw...
- Rush Featured in Classic Rock Presents PROG Magazi...
- Rush Visit Rush Visit Canada's House Of Commons
- Rush Wins Governor General's Performing Arts Award...
- ▼ May (22)
- Cygnus-X1.Net (Even Older) Rush News Archives -
|January-March 2011 Rush News Archive|
|October-December 2010 Rush News Archive|
|July-September 2010 Rush News Archive|
|April-June 2010 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2010 Rush News Archive|
|October-December 2009 Rush News Archive|
|July-September 2009 Rush News Archive|
|April-June 2009 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2009 Rush News Archive|
|October-December 2008 Rush News Archive|
|July-September 2008 Rush News Archive|
|April-June 2008 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2008 Rush News Archive|
|September-December 2007 Rush News Archive|
|June-August 2007 Rush News Archive|
|April-May 2007 Rush News Archive|
|January-March 2007 Rush News Archive|
|2006 Rush News Archive|
|2004-2005 Rush News Archive|
All Rush-related content with the exception of the "Reviews" and "Rush Links" sections of this site are (c) 1997-2012 Anthem Entertainment.
"Cygnus-X1.Net" and the "A Tribute to Rush" is in no way associated with nor endorsed by Rush and/or Atlantic Records and/or Mercury Records
and/or Anthem Entertainment; their parents or their affiliates. "Rush" et al and any/all related names, marks and/or insignias
are trademarks of Atlantic and/or Mercury Records. No infringement on the rights of these entities is intended.